July 7, 2005

Adversity Is the Best Test...

...and I'm failing. They say that the true measure of the caliber of a card player is how they perform when they are running badly. I am running badly. Time to re-evaluate a few things, because it seems like my proverbial poker penis has been lopped clean off. I still feel like I am playing decently and making strong moves but I certainly ain't winning. A couple of weeks ago I ran a $100 deposit on Paradise up to around $400 in a few days, then that thing happened. You know the one? It's what I've done every single time since last August after making a run. I haven't made a cashout of over $1,000 in almost a year. I've had above $1,000 in the account at least 5 times or so, and the maximum deposit I've made per month has been around $500.

What that means is that over the past year I've trained myself very well to shoot up a few hundred bucks and then get destroyed in a single session shortly thereafter. After dozens of such incidents I am starting to feel crippled. While I do blame a lot of it on bum luck I am not so arrogant that I don't see the obvious fact that I am doing something wrong. It may be time to make a decision soon...Get Smart or Quit. Let me just take a second to qualify that "Quit" part. Obviously I have no plans to stop playing poker altogether, but if I decide to Quit it will mean I no longer would consider poker a viable form of income.

The Big Score

On a separate note, I've been cynically contemplating that the only way to make it at poker is to get "lucky" and win a tournament or something along the lines of a "Big Score." Translation: it is nearly impossible to make a consistent income playing low-limit poker. Especially if you think you are better at poker than you really are.

"He who has 100 miles to walk should reckon 90 miles as half the journey."
-Japanese Proverb