May 25, 2005

Slow and Steady

I'm putting together a lot of small wins and a few small losses. My new method involves incrementally cashing out installments of profit from Paradise in order to protect me from myself. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I got into a bad habit of shooting up a few hundred or a grand in a couple of days then getting a bad start and decimating the whole stake in an ill-advised attempt to regain lost profit. Not a good thing. It's sad, but taking the cash out so that it's not readily available to burn after a few beats has really been the ticket to keeping the profits where they belong: in my bank account.



On an entirely different note, I went the the Great Lakes Downs track on Monday with Tyson and Alex. I rocked the first race, hitting my pick to win as well as my $6 Trifecta-box wager in which you pick three horses and if they finish 1-2-3 in any order you win. That was the last of my luck, I didn't win another single bet until the last race in which my $2 on a 20-1 horse to place (2nd or better) hit. It paid 1:1 for some ungodly reason which I cannot imagine. If that horse had spiked 1st it pays 20:1 if you picked it to win. If you pick it to come in second or first you get paid 1:1. Hmph. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I learned a valuable lesson: it's impossible to win money at the track. Another noteworthy incident: I had been writing down my bets in the program and I made a Superfecta pick for the 6th race, 6-2-7-8. That meant I was betting $2 that the 6 horse would win 2 horse come in 2nd, etc. Well, I didn't get to make the bet because one of the horses was cut from the race leaving it short-horsed. The results for that race: 6-2-7-8. If the 1 horse hadn't been cut and had not disruped the placing I would have won a couple thousand dollars on that bet. Oh well.