May 19, 2005

Poker Greatness

It was the best of times to be a poker player, it was the worst of times to be a poker player. The poker room at Soaring Eagle is really a brilliant demonstration of this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I see 18 tables packed full and a 2 hour waiting list I'm not exactly ecstatic about the big poker boom. Everyone that takes the game seriously thinks they are soooo good (case in point: me), and frankly, a lot of them are pretty good. The poker world is operating at a fever pitch and there's a lot of action, but is that really a good thing if everyone else is upping their game?

Slight divergence...I want to be great at poker, but so does everyone else. Do I have what it takes? What does it take? Maybe you've just gotta be genetically lucky and be born with some intangible quality that makes it possible. I have never been much of a genetic fatalist, anyway, I lost my train of thought. Tournaments. That's the answer. Ok, I'm tired and it's been a busy week but school is done and I'm looking forward to playing some serious poker this summer. I'll try to keep the updates flowing for all you faithful readers out there.