May 2, 2005

Poker and Compulsive Gambling

Once again on Sunday I had to reiterate the difference between poker and gambling to my parents. It is my contention that playing poker does not fall into the oh so forbidden "wasteful gaming" category - they eventually changed the subject. Incidentally, I saw a cool card marker on eBay yesterday. It was a "Gamblers Anonymous" medallion, and at first I thought it was a joke. It had their motto:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference."

On the front it said "One day at a time." See, I thought it was a joke just like you might put an AA logo on a beer mug or a shot glass, but the seller was spinning it as a nice reminder not to get carried away at the poker table. So, play poker, but don't gamble at poker. That might be a bit too reductionist, but the point is there: a distinct difference lies between poker and gambling.

However, poker can be an outlet for compulsive gambling (see pretty much any of my previous posts for more info on this point). Betting on poker is very tempting for someone with a weakness for CG because they can rationalize it. They convince themselves that they have some say in the outcome and it's not really gambling. The same goes for the sports book, too. There's an old idea that all the poker $$ from around the country eventually make their way to the final stop in the pockets of Vegas pros, but the pockets of Vegas bookies and sports books is probably just as accurate. Brunson, Baldwin, Ungar and almost all the rest of the "founding fathers" of poker have dumped millions betting on sports. A lot of very smart people have lost a lot of money investing (read: betting) in the stock market, too. So like the GA card marker points out, the duplicitous nature of poker can be dangerous.

Here's the GA acid test, and my responses to each question:

1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?
Many times.

2. Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?
What home life?

3. Did gambling afffect your reputation?
I should hope so.

4. Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
Nah, I always feel just skippy after flushing $1,500 or so down the toilet.

5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial problems?
How do you think I paid for my tuition this year?

6. Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
Not that I am aware of. My ambition and efficiency were shot long before I started to gamble.

7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible to win back your losses?
Of course. Although, usually I take a long rest after a bad losing week. I think I am very un- compulsive on this one most of the time.

8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?
Can't necessarily say the same for this one.

9. Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?
Define "last dollar."

10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
I have both borrowed and loaned to finance gambling, so those cancel, right?

11. Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
No, but ironically I once sold some poker chips to finance rent payment.

12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
Gambling is a normal expenditure. See "What Was I Gonna Do?"

13. Did gambling make you careless about the welfare of yourself or your family?
No.

14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
Yes.

15. Have you ever gambled to escape worry or trouble?
No.

16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?
No comment.

17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
Interestingly, I have never had trouble sleeping after losses. When I win a lot I get excited and want to watch Rounders until dawn!

18. Do arguments, disappointments, or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?
Nope.

19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?
Not really.

20. Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?
For some people the gambling is the self-destructive act. I'm actually a big fan of life.

Supposedly if you answer "yes" to seven or more you are a degenerate. You do the math.