March 5, 2005

Time For A Break

I haven't played internet poker in a couple of weeks, been busy with school. I have been playing in the local games in GR, pretty much the only time I can get out of the apartment during the week for any social interaction. I wonder if the biggest detriment poker potentially presents is the risk of losing money or the certainty using up a lot time. I think the two are integrally combined in a way, especially in the "public eye" or conventional wisdom. If you spend a lot of time playing low-stakes poker, it's no big deal. If you spend a lot of time playing high-stakes poker, then it becomes an issue (even if you are winning).

Honor your father and your mother so that you may live long in the land.

I like poker more than I like school, but the 'rents are paying for my ride and they have the right to intervene and let me know what's going to happen. Seems like things are going to be buckling down in the days and weeks to come, so I'm prepared to take the hit and stop playing poker for a while. Plus, they're right, you know. Oooh, I could make what, $25k/year if I really pushed playing poker?

Like Johnny Moss said, "I used to scoff at the suckers, but I realized that they always had more money than me so I decieded that it was better to be a sucker." Not to mention the social/ethical implications of contributing to the world in a productive career versus taking other people's money for a living.