March 9, 2005

No Respect

I am on hiatus from the game for a while. Although there are ulterior factors why, certainly taking some contemplative time to rest and refresh has never been a bad thing for my poker game. It is hard for me to imagine the battle it must be for people who play the game 8 hours a day every day. The fact of the matter is that poker isn't fun. Sure, flopping the nuts or pulling off a well timed check-raise bluff is a lot of fun, but that's not really "poker" as I am referring to it. Those are things that happen while you are playing poker, but poker is the drudgery of folding hand after hand waiting for KQs or better only to hit top pair and get outdrawn by 5 outs going down the river. That is poker. It sucks.

Amateurish players do not suffer from this affliction. The moment they sit at the table they are not in control, everything that happens is, to them, a swirl of excitement and confusion. Each hand they play is a thrill because of their sheer ignorance as to what is going on around them.

Come on, Phil, you know what I'm talking about. Phil Hellmuth is an ass, and he knows it. The reason for this is because being a jerk is how he copes with knowing sooo much about the game and being constantly surrounded by idiots. He is perpetually tormented by his own knowledge and insight into what is going on around him. Despite this torture, Phil Hellmuth is one of the richest poker players ever to have amassed his/her wealth over the green felt. His suffering is a result of his greatness.

If you look to the right under my picture you'll see a section of a verse from Proverbs. It says that pride goes before a fall. It may be ok for me to know I am the most educated, talented, stunningly handsome player at the table. How I cope with this knowledge is the kicker. Phil copes by making a lot of semi-derrogatory comments and crying and flailing around a lot. Most people hate him for it, but I feel his pain. However, I should strive for a more wholesome, productive response to the agony that is inflicted on me when I get outdrawn for the 20th time in 22 hands that I've played to stunning perfection all the way down to the river.

Take my money, that's fine - I have more. However, RESPECT the skills. Deep down you know that you can't beat me. You know it.