July 14, 2005

2005 WSOP Update (Yes, I Still Love Poker)

With two days left to play (that's day SIX, folks) there are a few interesting names at the top of the leaderboard at Binion's. Mike "The Mouth" Matusow is atop the list, weilding a chip stack of 5,140,000. Another Las Vegas resident is bringing up a close second with 4,635,000 chips - one Phil Ivey. Did I once make a post that there will never be another "name-brand" WSOP champion ever again? I'll be more than happy to stick my foot in my mouth if Ivey pulls off the win. The third interesting name in fifth place in chips with 3,840,000 is...yep...Greg "Fossilman" Raymer. Lightning strikes twice? We'll see. With two days left to play and Matusow still around with the big stack anything could happen to everone's favorite egghead from Connecticut.

Incidentally, there were 5,619 entrants this year making for a total prize pool of $52,818,610. Strangely enough the cash for first place is only marginally increased from last year when measured against the attendance boom - $7.5 M (only). The only thing that would make me happier would be if Phil Hellmuth and Marcel Luske were still kicking. I suppose Matusow will have to provide entertainment enough for my television viewing pleasure.