February 2, 2005

Paradise Poker, The other "PP" of internet poker

"What site do you play on?"

That's the question everyone asks following the invariable "So, do you ever play online?" Here's a few of the answers I have heard:

Party Poker
Ultimate Bet
Poker Stars
Poker Room

etc... Let me just get it out there right now. Party Poker sucks. It looks like it was designed in the very early 90's. The player notes feature is terrible (you have to right click to access them, and there is no way of knowing if you have notes on a player other than to do just that for each player at your table). Their cash in/out method is rediculous (you get rerouted to their website). Don't even get me started on those retarded avatar characters. Yet, the sheep continue to flock to Party Poker. I guess that's the biggest argument in favor of that site. It has sooo many players that the games are bound to be "soft" or easy, or maybe just plain stupid. Anyway, Party is not the only site that I have beef with.

Like Party, most online poker sites have crappy player notes features. The only site I have seen with anything comparable to my favorite site's is Full Tilt Poker. In fact, FTP has great interface, the only problem is that they don't have enough players to keep games going strong all the time. Regardless, player notes is not the only problem with these sites. A lot of these sites are for the most part just Party Poker clones, and as you can see, I hate Party Poker. Ultimate Bet has better look/feel and player interface on the menus than the Party clones, but I find the play at the table to be just as frustrating. Their auto buttons are goofy, and the player chat is just plain awful.




Ok, enough. So if all of those sites are no good, where do I play? The first and only Paradise Poker is my home for pixilated poker. Every aspect of the site is superior to other sites in my opinion. The lobby looks great, the tables look great, no stupid characters at the tables, intuitive action buttons, excellent notification to act features (a tone sounds as well as the table window surfacing over anything else you may be working on). The list goes on. But listen, if you are settled down at one of the crappy sites and are familiar and comfortable with it, don't sweat it.

P.S. - The worst is when someone says "Poker Stars" and I see that Moneymakeresque glimmer of stupidity twinkling in their squinty, beady, redneck eyes.