September 6, 2005

18 And Life To Go (19, 20, 21...)

Yesterday was my 21st birthday. I bought two big cans of Heineken to celebrate. I'm thinking about money a lot these days. The beers were $2 a piece. It's a textural difference in my day to day life such as buying cheap cans and not just a good six-pack that best represent some of the changes I've been through over the past year and a half. Everything is darker now, more serious. I feel much more burdened by responsibility, obligation, and an ominous cloud of future debt rising on the horizon. In fact, when I reflect on days past which were even longer ago than just last summer I think about how free I was and how little I knew about the "real world." Incidentally (my mental processes are not very unified right now), I was thinking about the implications of the phrase "the real world" recently, and how it's merely a euphemism for "the shitty world." The real world is rarely a place to which one aspires, it is not a goal to accomplish but rather an inevitability that eventually catches up with everyone. Some sooner than others.

See, there's another little four word sentence. My brain is not outputting prose at the moment as much as short bursts of fragmented thoughts. Incidentally (again), it is yet to be 9:30 AM this Tuesday morning and I have been awake and active for well over two hours now. This is due to a little 8:00 AM class called Engineering 305 A. The operative feature of this course title is the letter "A," as in opposed to "B," which meets at 12:30 PM on the same days with the same professor. For whatever reason(s) the powers that be have ordained that I am to be in the 8:00 class. Ok, I won't get too detailed on how crappy that is, but trust me, it's real crappy.

A few pointed queries: (see, now we're getting somewhere...) Do people who invest in the stock market grow weary of its incessant turmoil and pull out for good with bitterness and loathing in their hearts? Is it possible to "quit while you're ahead" in the stock market, or do you just put it in and let it ride until you die? Is there such a thing as quitting when ahead in poker? Will you really be ahead if you quit - do you love the game? Or do you loathe it?